Short Syllabus -- Math 2315 Discrete Math, Section 01 -- Fall 2021
Text: Discrete Mathematics: An Open Introduction, 3rd edition, by Oscar Levin, ISBN 9781792901690
Download the book for free at http://discrete.openmathbooks.org/dmoi3.html
A scientific calculator is recommended (not just your cell phone).
See Canvas for other course materials.
Instructor: Dr. Edward Early
Office: JBWS 168C
Office Hours: M10, W3, R11 (Google Chat, Zoom, or in-person).
Home Page: http://edwarde.create.stedwards.edu/
- The plan is that everyone should attend every class meeting. We'll adjust as needed.
- May be withdrawn for absences (WA) with 4 absences
- If you are sick, STAY HOME and we'll work it out
- Generally will not WA anyone who is keeping up and doing well
- READ AHEAD in the book to be able to participate in class
- Face coverings will have to be worn in compliance with SEU policies
- Failure to wear a mask will result in being asked to leave the classroom
- Refusal to wear a mask will result in being withdrawn from the course and referral to the Dean of Students
- Collected at the start of class, see schedule on Canvas for assignments
- Show work neatly for credit; Study groups ok, but solutions must be written independently
- Should take several hours each week, start early!
- No late work accepted (not even for athletes, illness, etc.)
- Early work is accepted, can be delivered to office or emailed
- Review quiz (and any other quizzes) counted as HW
- Lowest grade dropped to compensate for not accepting late work
- Three in-class exams, see schedule
- Mastery grading: Credit can be earned during in-class exams (two chances) or office hours (two more chances)
- Comprehensive final exam with traditional grading, check Registrar's schedule for date and time
Cheating (copying homework or test answers):
First offense gets a 0, second fails course.
- Mastery topics: 45%
- Final Exam: 27%
- Homework/Quiz: 27% (lowest 2 grades dropped)
- Free Point: 1% (any extra credit will be credited here)
- C (70-79) is average, B (80-89) is good, A (90-100) is exceptional